Every Wednesday night, starting from the 4th May, we’re going to be doing the Skipton Chain Gang. It’s the same route every week (Skipton to Buckden and back), total of 36 miles. Meet at 6:30PM outside Dave Ferguson Cycles. Pace will be about 20mph, so we should be back for 8:30.
We’ll aim stay together on the way out, but pace will be high, so you’ll need to be able to hold a high speed (think 18mph on a solo ride). The way back will be a chain gang from Buckden all the way back.
A few rules:
- Ease up the climbs: 3 main climbs on the way back, Kettlewell, Long Ashes and Threshfield Bank. If you kill it on the climbs, we’ll split up and all be doing a time trial home, which is not the point.
- Ease up when you go past: Don’t go past the group like a steam train, you’ll split the group up. Ease up a tiny bit as you pass, but don’t brake and don’t stop pedalling or everyone will crash into you.
- Keep it tight: We’ll be riding 2 abreast, so cars can get past we need to ride tight together. There should be no more than half a foot between you and the rider beside you or in front.
- Don’t overlap wheels: If the guy in front moves out unexpectedly and your front wheel is overlapping their rear, they will take you out and everyone else behind you.
- Don’t line out:: If we’re 10+ riders, lining out just makes for an impassable long line of riders. There are only a couple of narrow sections on this route, cars are safer to wait until it opens up than squeeze past.
Youth riders welcome. You will need your parents consent, and if you are under 16, you will need to be accompanied by a nominated adult club member to be responsible for you for the duration of the ride. See Youth Membership for more details.